Amnesiac and her laptop are upstairs at Upstairs Auntie’s place.
As Upstairs Auntie walks past she sees the picture of the great Alexandrian poet and bad spectacles-chooser Cavafy which crowns the last post.
Upstairs auntie: [Squinting and frowning] Dah meen dah? [Who is that?]
Upstairs: Meen? Gaddafy?? [Who? Qaddafy?]
Amnesiac: La2. CAVAAAFFFFYYY.
Upstairs: Sbelleeh keda [Spell it]
Upstairs: Cavafy…aaaahh [a lightbulb seems to light up]
Amnesiac: [Encouraged] Te3rafeeh? [Do you know him?]
Upstairs: La2. [No]
- The Believers
- Falling Towards England
- Looking for Palestine: Growing Up Confused in an Arab-American Family
- The Great Gatsby
- Then They Came for Me: A Story of Injustice and Survival in Iran's Most Notorious Prison
- The Year of Magical Thinking
- Still Standing: The Savage Years
- The Devil Rides Out
- At My Mother's Knee...: and other low joints